The Centre for Urban Education is a pioneering Centre within the Institute of Education at Manchester Metropolitan University. We are committed to improving the aspirations, educational opportunities and attainments of all children, young people and families
We work with children, young people and their families, and the professionals concerned with their education and care, in urban contexts, in Greater Manchester, the North West of England, the rest of the UK and internationally.
We bring together research, policy and practice to have a direct impact on all those working with children and young people in urban settings.
Urban environments are rich in historical, cultural, creative and community diversity. The Centre draws upon the value of these assets to make partnerships and connections so that its programmes transform the lives of individuals and release the capital of our communities.
Our Vision is to become a leading international centre for learning and development in urban environments.
We do this through developing programmes and activity that:
· Develop professionals and leaders to support the creativity and success of urban learners
· Foster and develop inter-professional working
· Support change and innovation in schools and communities
· Network and disseminate practice regionally, nationally and internationally
· Link research and practice to provide evidence of what works
Nancy Barrett Creative Director of Centre for Urban Education